Yep. You heard that right! Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Icing! Plus some green onion sprinkles …and a filling made of mozzarella cheese.
They are almost too pretty to eat, huh? These are the cute silicone baking cups that I used. I love them! I love meatloaf. I mean I really LOVE meatloaf and I have 3 recipes that I make on the regular, each equally delish, but I recently got a recipe for bbq meatloaf with mozzarella cheese on the inside, so I had to make them and let me tell you this – they didn’t last long. My goddaughter even loved them, and she’s a picky eater so this was a total triumph at my house.
The trick? Use mozzarella sticks for the filling. I tried shredded mozzarella but it just kind of melted into them and didn’t have the visual appeal that I am always after …or as Abbi says “You don’t even care if we eat. It’s all about the BLOG!!!!”
Thankfully for her, she was fed well while she was here for 7 months. I bet she misses me, although I doubt that she would admit it …because she’s 10. At 10, they don’t realize how good they really have it, do they? Love her. Miss her more than I miss about anybody actually.
These are for you Abbi! Make your momma whip up a batch and think about how much you love your Aunt Lynne when you eat them!
- 1 lb lean ground beef - the leaner the better because when you make these in a cupcake tin grease is your enemy here!
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 1/4 c bbq sauce - make sure it's a gluten free variety
- 1/4 c gluten free panko breadcrumbs
- 2 sticks of mozzarella string cheese
- Mashed potatoes
- Mix everything together
- Place about 1/2 of the mixture in your cupcake tin spaces -- I've also used silicone cups on a baking sheet
- Cut the string cheese into 1/4 pieces and place on top of the meat, pressing down lightly, making sure not to push it down to far to the bottom
- Place the other 1/2 of the meat on top of each cupcake, sealing around the edges so that the cheese doesn't ooze out
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 to 35 minutes, depending upon your preference. I know someone who likes them almost burned - to each his own I say!
- During the last 5 minutes of baking - top with bbq sauce and put back into the oven for those 5 minutes
- I put my mashed potatoes into a pastry bag and piped it on just like icing then topped with some sliced green onions!