My Dad’s favorite cake is German chocolate cake and this year I decided to make a gluten free version so that my hubby and I could, well, nom nom nom.
Using the all purpose flour blend here I decided to try to convert the original recipe using my gf flour and the results were OUTSTANDING! My husband says it’s the best cake he has ever tasted and I have to admit, it was a very proud moment for me. Since my first attempt, I have made this into cupcakes as well and every time it has turned out just oh so perfect that I ain’t even mad that making the icing sucks.
This is the original recipe edited to replace wheat flour with my gf all purpose flour – no other substitutions were made. Beating the egg whites correctly is what gives this gf cake the perfect consistency of fluffiness and moistness. I ruv it and I hope you enjoy it!
- 1 pkg (4 oz) Baker's German Sweet Chocolate
- ½ c water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 c gf flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 c butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c buttermilk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 1½ c sugar
- ¾ c butter
- 1 pk (7 oz) Coconut flakes
- 1½ c chopped pecans
- HEAT oven to 350°F.
- COVER bottoms of 3 (9-inch) round pans with waxed paper; spray sides with cooking spray. Microwave chocolate and water in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 min. or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- BEAT egg whites in small bowl with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside. Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.
- ADD egg whites; stir gently until well blended. Pour into prepared pans.
- BAKE 30 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Immediately run small spatula around cakes in pans. Cool cakes in pans 15 min.; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Spread Coconut-Pecan Filling and Frosting between cake layers and onto top of cake.
- BEAT egg yolks, milk and vanilla in large saucepan with whisk until well blended. Add sugar and butter; cook on medium heat 12 min. or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- ADD coconut and nuts; mix well. Cool to desired spreading consistency.