I’m going to be honest here, ok? My 11 year old daughter has been taking my blog pics. For like – the whole time. I’m going to be honest again – I started cutting this chicken up before she could get an after pic and it went like this:
Now normally, I would put some butter between the skin and the meat, however once my bff got the legs tucked, I just couldn’t get in there. Not a deal breaker. Life goes on.
But trust me, the after was gorgeous and golden! For real. Would I lie to you?
This recipe comes from the Loretty Lynn cook book called “You’re Cookin’ It Country” and I love this thing! The recipes are great, but I love the writing. I swear I hear her talking when I read the stories in there. I’m a big Loretta Lynn fan but I’ve got Southern roots so hearing her talk is like visiting my Mammaw (To Sheldon, it’s MeeMaw…) and listening to her tell stories.
I swear – I also picture Cissy Spacek yellin’ “Dooooooo!” Loved Coal Miner’s Daughter – in this book, Loretta talks about how her husband Doolittle Lynn couldn’t stand Tommy Lee Jones at first. Funny huh?
This is good Baked Lemon Chicken. Trust me.
- 1 large hen
- 3 large lemons
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 dash of salt
- 1 dash of pepper
- 1 dash of paprika
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 celery stalks, halved
- 1 garlic, peeled
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Wash hen and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, squeeze the juice from the lemons - keeping lemon peels
- Melt ½ stick of butter and add to the lemon juice
- Add salt, pepper and paprika
- Rub the bird with the remaining half stick of butter - I always like to put some butter between the meat and the skin as well
- Salt and pepper hen
- Stuff the hen with the onions, left over lemon (with rinds still attached), celery and garlic cloves
- Bake in roasting pan for approximately 20 to 25 minutes - breast down
- Reduce heat to 350°, flip hen breast side up and cover
- Continue to bake for another hour, basting with lemon butter about every 10 minutes.